Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stories.

I love reading. I love getting into a good book and feeling like I'm part of what is happening. Because of this, I much prefer reading books that are written in first person.
My life is a story. I am not the author, but I am the protagonist. I experience the events. In the book that is my life, I am the first person narrator.
I've been thinking about the idea of an individual's "story" a lot lately. Everyone's is different. Everyone's story molds them into who they are.

I was with a group of Christian friends a few nights ago. We were in a bible study setting and we were asked to tell our "story." It just so happened that all of the people in this small group were not people I knew very much about past the surface level. I sat and listened to them each tell their own story, what made them into the person that sat in front of me. They each told the story, as written by God, from their first person narrotor point of view. I also shared my own story.

I believe that hearing or sharing personal stories is key to forming a deeper understand of a person or even yourself. I learned so much about myself through sharing my own personal journey. I realized just how deeply certain events in my life have shaped who I am. Everytime someone shares their story with me, I see the person in a much different, much deeper light.

I hear these stories as I hear the stories in books I read, but unlike in the books, I'm actually a part of this person's story.

My challenge to anyone reading is to take the time to ask someone about their story, even if it's someone you've known for years. Take the time to also share your story and BE HONEST. By taking the time to do this alone, I believe deeper bonds can be formed and the two people involved can see just how God, the author and perfecter of our faith, works in different yet equally magnificent ways.


"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
                                          -Hebrews 12:2 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment