Monday, July 2, 2012

A Secular Calling

Ever since I was in middle school, I've had these moments of feeling somewhat inferior in my faith. I went through middle and high school watching friends and strangers alike stand up and tell audiences that they had been called to ministry. There was a point in my youth group years when I felt like the only person in my group of friends without a calling.
Even now, I constantly meet Christians my age who are attending/plan on attending seminary or are being called overseas as full time missionaries.
I have never for a second felt called to pursue either one of these paths. I have always wanted to get married, start a family, have a good career, and live in Alabama (so I'm not far from my family). Since I have only recently figured out what I'm going to do "when I grow up," those plans have only become more detailed and more real. I kept wondering, why don't I have a calling?

It took only 15 minutes worth of preaching on Daniel 1 to show me that I do in fact have a calling.
Daniel chapter 1 tells of Daniel's training in Babylon and how in choosing not to "defile himself"(v.8) with the king's luxuries, he was "ten times better" in "every matter of wisdom and understanding" (v. 20).
In was pointed out that Daniel was in a secular field. In fact, most biblical characters that come to mind were in secular fields of work.

I am not discrediting anyone who is called into ministry or mission work, that is just not my path. I feel so reassured in knowing that I can do God's work in my future secular career field and in my current job as a part time tutor and full time student. 






"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
                                             -Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment